International students can return home for a short time, however you should speak to a member of the Student Visa Services team at the International Office before you leave.

Student Visa Services

If you want to return to your home country for a semester or a year and you are a government sponsored student (Middle East or SE Asia) or a Manaaki New Zealand Scholarship student, contact your designated International Student Adviser (ISA) before you make any decisions.

When you're ready to come back to study, you may need to apply for another programme in eVision. Once this programme is approved, you can add your papers in eVision, then submit them for course approval.  You must apply for a new student visa.  Email for information and to request a confirmation of enrolment letter.

You will need to apply for your student visa to return to New Zealand directly through Immigration New Zealand.

Returning home at short notice

If you are an international student and you need to return to your home country suddenly, contact an International Student Adviser by emailing

They will help contact your departments, the Examinations team in Student Administration, and your insurance provider if necessary.

Further information

New Zealand Immigration — Study in New Zealand