All documents giving evidence of name, name change, citizenship, or residency status should be certified (witnessed/notarised) as "true copies" of the original document by a person of suitable authority.

A Justice of the Peace (JP) is authorised to certify copies of documents for you. If you are in New Zealand, look through the list on the Royal Federation of NZ Justices' Associations website to find a JP in your area:

Royal Federation of NZ Justices' Associations

There is a JP Service at the AskOtago Central Hub in Dunedin, on most Wednesdays from 9am–3pm. Some University of Otago staff are also JPs:

JPs at the University of Otago

The following are also authorised to certify documents as true copies of the originals:

  • Court registrar or deputy registrar
  • Members of Parliament
  • Notary public
  • Solicitor
  • University of Otago administrative or liaison staff

These authorities may or may not stamp the document copy as a JP does, but they must give their name as well as their signature, the date, and preferably their contact details.

Documentation can also be submitted in person at one of our campuses. Staff will take a photocopy of any original documents:

If you are required to provide any documents for admission to the University for identity purposes, you will be sent an alert through your eVision portal. High quality scans or photos can be uploaded using the link sent to you in the alert.