To open a bank account in New Zealand, ask at any New Zealand bank about their "student account". You will need to provide:

  • Identification (ID)
  • Your offer of place from the University of Otago
  • Evidence of your current address

You may be asked to provide your tax ID number from your home country. Students from some countries may be asked to apply for an IRD number (New Zealand's tax ID number) for reporting interest income to your home country.

If your study visa is for six months or less, you will need to contact New Zealand banks prior to leaving your home country for more information on how to open a bank account from home.

Further information

New Zealand Inland Revenue