UO_WIFI is the wireless network available to staff, enrolled students, and contractors, to use at the University of Otago.
To connect to UO_WIFI the wireless service name (SSID) of "UO_WIFI" will need to be visible on your device.
To connect to UO_WIFI on a Windows or macOS computer, or on an iPhone/iPad, simply select it from your list of available networks. Then, enter your University username (e.g. bonja22p) and associated password, and click Connect. If you are presented with a request to Accept or Trust the network, go ahead and do so.
To connect to UO_WIFI on an Android phone, you’ll need to alter the network settings first. Open up the network settings by tapping on the network in the list of available networks (or if you’ve tried to connect before, press and hold, then select Modify). Select the following settings (see notes in brackets/extra settings for Pixel 3a and 6a users):
- EAP method: PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPV2—this is sometimes found under the Advanced section
- CA certificate: unspecified, or Do not validate (Pixel 3a users: Use system certificate)
- Online certificate status (Pixel 3a/6a users): Request certificate status
- Domain (Pixel 3a/6a users): staff = "otago.ac.nz" student = "student.otago.ac.nz"
- Identity: your University username (Pixel 3a/6a users: Registry\ or student\University username)
- Anonymous Identity: (leave blank)
- Password: your University password
- MAC Address Type: Use device MAC (available on Android 8.0 or later). Turn off MAC Randomisation on Android 10 devices
- Security (if required): 802.1x EAP
Tap Save or Connect.
Download the UO_WIFI network connection tip sheets for more detailed step-by-step instructions:
- Windows, Mac, iOS, Android (PDF, 462KB)
- Linux Ubuntu 22.04 (PDF 234KB)
- Joining a Chromebook to UO_WIFI (PDF 125KB)
If you have any problems connecting to the network, contact AskOtago:
See the related article: Troubleshooting Huawei phone wireless connection issues.
Unable to log in to UO_WIFI with external username
If a Property Services contractor is unable to log in to UO_WIFI for contact tracing purposes because their external account is expired, they will need to email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to renew their ps contractor account.
Escalating internet issues
Collect the following information before escalating internet connection issues to ITS infrastructure:
- Name, University username, email address and mobile phone number.
- Device type (laptop/desktop/phone), Brand and Model.
- Device MAC address (look for it under Wi-Fi detailed settings).
- Detailed location (e.g. Hayward college, 2nd floor, room 254).
- What is the issue you are experiencing? Please provide details.
- Nearest Wi-Fi Access Point (AP – might be referred to as router) name and MAC address (if they can find one).
Pictures of the Access Points used at the University are at the end of the PDF: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android (PDF, 462KB)