The University of Otago Library uses an EZproxy server to provide access to web-based licenced databases. This includes ejournals and ebooks.
- Most computers on the University network will bypass the EZproxy server and be able to access your E-resource directly. Some electronic resources require a different username and password. To access a specific resource, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- "Remote users" will be prompted to log into EZproxy using a University of Otago username and password. Licensing is restriced to staff and students only for off-campus use. Remote users include:
- Some computers on the University network
- All off-campus computers, whether or not they are connected via VPN
- People using the Staff or Student Virtual Desktops
External usernames set up to access Library E-resources can be used to log in. Once you have been authenticated on the EZproxy server, you will remain authenticated until you close your browser.
Otago Polytechnic students
As an Otago Polytechnic student you can access Otago Polytechnic E-resources using EZproxy. Use your Otago Polytechnic username and password to log into the Library catalogue, databases, My Library Account, and to access the Library’s interloan service.
Access to Google Scholar from off-campus
You can use Google Scholar off-campus but appear to be on-campus so that full-text articles are available:
Occasionally, the University's use of Google Scholar breaches their limit for acceptable/expected use. When attempting to search Google Scholar after accessing it via the University of Otago Library website, you might get an error message relating to "unusual traffic on your computer network".
While the University waits to be cleared, you may wish to use the following links as workarounds:
If you have a query about a specific E-resource, contact the Library’s E-resource team:
- Fill in the Electronic Access online form
- Phone the E-resource team: +64 3 479 9780 (Mon to Fri, 8:30am–5:00pm)
- Ask staff at any library desk for assistance
If you have any queries about Library electronic resources, contact Library staff.
If you are unable to access electronic resources, contact AskOtago.
Any enquiries about access to Library E-resources are to go to the Library Client Services Manager Helen Brett email@example.com
Please also refer to the ITS form: ITS Service Guidelines and information—University username/ID card which is also available on the Library website.
There is a cap on the EZproxy system that if more than 250MB is downloaded in 15 minutes, the account will be suspended for eight hours. Some resources (mainly ebooks) have a higher download limit of 400MB. Raise a ticket and assign this to ITS Information Systems in the CRSM asking them to restore access to EZproxy.
The suspension period is not to be made public as this in the past has allowed hackers to set up automated scripts.
See sharepoint for troubleshooting access issues.