Download these instructions as a PDF file:
Students of the University of Otago are entitled to five Microsoft 365 licences for their personal devices. This means you can use Microsoft 365 on your own computers and devices free of charge while you are studying.
Once you've completed the course enrolment declaration and have received your student email address you will be able to download and install Microsoft 365 on up to five of your personal devices.
Installing Office/Microsoft 365 on your own computer
- Log in to your StudentMail
- Ensure that your browser window is expanded or in full screen mode or the Office 365 button will not be visible.
- Click on the grid icon in the top left-hand side of the screen, then select Office 365 on the right of the column.
- Select Install Office.
- Choose Office 365 apps which will install the entire Office suite.
- Follow the prompts to save and install the software.
- Activate your Microsoft 365 by signing in with your student email address when prompted after opening one of the Office applications.
Installing Microsoft 365 on your phone or tablet
- You can install Microsoft apps on your Apple or Android phone or tablet
- Windows devices come with Microsoft 365 already installed
You can either install Microsoft Office (includes: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as a document viewer) or each of the listed programs as separate apps. This is mostly a matter of preference. Apps available for devices include:
- Microsoft Teams
Go to the appropriate app store for your device and search for Microsoft 365. Choose the apps you want from the list of search results.
After downloading the app, use your student email and password to sign in to the app. This will ensure you get the full version of Microsoft 365 in accordance with the University's licence.
Uninstalling and re-installing Microsoft 365
If you need to uninstall the application, but will need to re-install the application again, it is important to ensure that you remove all remnants of the applications and licenses associated with the applications. This requires the following steps:
- Move the applications to the Recycle Bin by selecting them, pressing Command and clicking on one of the programs, then selecting Move to trash.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- In Finder, press Command key+Shift+g.
- In the window that opens, enter
~/Libraryand then click Go. Open the Containers folder and ctrl+click each of these folders and Move to Trash. Note that some of these folders may not be present.
- Click the back arrow to go back to the Library folder and open Group Containers. Ctrl+click each of these folders if present, and Move to Trash.
- Restart your computer.
There is also a Mac License Removal Tool which can assist in the removal of an existing Office license.
There may also be a need to remove the Office credentials from the Mac keychain, the steps for this can be found here:
- Using Spotlight Search (Cmd + Space) open Keychain Access.
- In the Keychain search field search for Microsoft Office Credentials.
- Ctrl+click on the Microsoft Office Credentials entry, and delete.
- Restart the computer.
- Open Control Panel, and click on Uninstall programs.
- Select all the Office applications, and uninstall using the Uninstall button.
- Restart the computer.
There is also an uninstall assistance tool available for download.
You may be able to clear the cached log in details from the Office applications in the Windows Credential Manager, however sometimes the login details are not saved in this location.
If you need help with installing Microsoft 365, contact AskStudent IT in person at the AskOtago Central Hub, Dunedin campus, or:
Freephone 0800 80 80 98
Tel +64 3 479 7000
Submit an enquiry or live chat with us