Outlook (for StudentMail) is included in Microsoft 365 for students, available while you are studying at Otago.
When you leave Otago, your StudentMail account will be disabled and you will no longer have access to your emails. Before that happens, you should forward or export any emails and attachments you wish to keep.
To export your email, calendar, and contacts from StudentMail, you will first need to set up a Microsoft-Exchange-compatible email client (such as Outlook or Outlook for Mac) and connect to your email account. This will let you download a copy of your email, calendar, and contacts to your computer. You can then export the details from there to your chosen email application.
To access your student emails after you leave Otago, ensure you have an alternative Microsoft-Exchange-compatible email client available to export your emails to.
This is different to the forwarding you may already have done on your emails. If you have emails that aren’t saved in your personal account, you’ll need to follow these steps to export them:
- Exporting a small number of emails
- Exporting a large number of emails (Windows)
- Exporting a large number of emails (macOS)
If you're only wanting to keep a handful of very specific emails, forwarding each email is the recommended option for you:
- Log in to your StudentMail account using your username and password, then open an email you wish to keep.
- Click the drop-down arrow beside Reply all.
- Select Forward.
- Address the new email to your personal account.
- Click Send.
- Repeat steps 1–5 for every email message you wish to keep.
If you're exporting a very large number of emails, for example your entire StudentMail email history, it is recommended you connect your StudentMail to a desktop client like Outlook. This is best done in the Windows version of Outlook rather than Mac—if necessary you can log into your Student Desktop to do this.
- Open Outlook.
- Select File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Select Export to a file.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst), and click Next.
- Choose the folder you wish to export, and click Next.
- Choose a location to export the files to, and click Finish.
- Open Outlook.
- Select Outlook > Preferences then click on the Accounts button.
- Click the plus in the bottom left corner and select Exchange.
- Enter your student email address, make sure User Name and Password is the Method, and then enter your usual student username and password. Leave Configure automatically ticked and press Add Account.
- After the account has been added, go to File > Export. (If you don’t see the Export option, you may need to revert back to the old Outlook by going to menu option Outlook, and unticking New Outlook).
- Uncheck data you don't need, leaving Mail selected, and click Continue.
- You can then choose where to save the exported file on your computer.